Day 1. Tuesday/Friday. La Paz - Uyuni
You head off in a southwesterly direction towards Oruro, a 3.5 hour drive, and then take the train to Uyuni, a 6 - 7 hour ride across the massive altiplano plateau.
Overnight in a hotel in Uyuni: lunch included.
Day 2. Wednesday/Saturday. Uyuni Salt Flats - San Juan.
There are departure from Uyuni on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
You will visit the train cemetery and then go to the Uyuni Salt Flats, with a stop at the town of Colchani where you will learn about salt processing and extraction techniques. Next is a visit to the Incahuasi Island and Pescado Island, rocky outcroppings in the vast whiteness of this dried lake on which immense cacti grow. Afterwards, it is a visit to the Coquesa mummies and then the town of San Juan.
Overnight in a hotel in San Juan: breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
Day 3. Thursday/Sunday. San Juan - REA - Villamar
Today will be a long one! First off is a visit to the Eduardo Abaroa National Reserve for a stop at Lake Colorado, a RAMSAR site, which means it is a wetlands of international importance; in this case, more than 30,000 flamingoes nest in its area. You continue south into the desert to see the Sol de Mañana geysers, an area known for its intense volcanic activity and where you can see vents and geysers that shoot into the sky between 10 and 50 meters.
Next, you skirt the shoreline of Lake Challviri, famous for its hot springs, and cross the lovely countryside of the Pampas de Dali Desert for three hours until reaching a green colored lake at the foot of Mount Lincancabur. The final destination of the day is the town of Villamar, north of the lake.
Overnight in a hotel in Villamar: breakfast, lunch, and dinner included.
Day 4. Friday/Monday. Villamar - Alota - Uyuni - La Paz
After breakfast, you will see some rock paintings and then tour Fort Tomás Lakjas. Next stop is the town of Uyuni and a visit to the Valley of the Rocks. You will then drive through the village of Alota and San Cristobal.
After lunch, you are transferred to the airport for your flight to La Paz. If you depart from Uyuni, then your transfer out will also be from Uyuni.
Breakfast and lunch included.
- Program is for 2 or more pax.
- English speaking guides included. Other languages by request only.
- Services and meals mentioned in the program.
- All entrance tickets and contributions.
- Shared service
- Lodgings listed in the program.
Does not include:
- Anything not mentioned in the program.
- Winter (June - August): the water in the hotels may be very cold when you first turn on the faucet. It could take several minutes for it to warm up.
- Rainy season (November - April): Roads may be affected, and the Uyuni Salt Flats floods. It may be hard or even impossible to reach Tahua or Incahuasi, and so the program is subject to change.
- 4X4 trucks, with a maximum of 4 passengers, will be used in the Uyuni Salt Flats since there are no paved roads. To lower costs, the guides and/or TC will ride in the truck beds, if necessary.