The trip begins early with a transfer to the awe-inspiring ancient ruins of Ollantaytambo, elevation 4350 meters and the starting point of our mountain biking adventure. We will descend to the lower jungle along a winding road that crosses a variety of countryside until reaching an altitude of 1130 meters. Here the towering mountains give way to valleys and finally the lush green of the jungle. We will stop midway at the Wamanmarka ruins and eat a boxed lunch before heading to the jungle lodge and our home for the evening.
Today is set aside for hiking on trails that cut through fields of coffee and coca plants, the latter being the sacred plant of the Incas. Afterwards, we will actually have the chance to walk on one of the original Inca trials: what a way to learn firsthand about this incredible system of trails. At the end of the hike, there is a real treat waiting for us, the Santa Teresa hot springs; or if you are truly adventurous, you can try out the zip line (optional). When the sun goes down, we will relax and spend the night at another jungle lodge.
The trek continues to the hydroelectric plant, and we will cross the Vilcanota River (Sacred River of the Incas) on suspension bridges. Along the way, there are plenty of butterfly, parrot, and iguana species to observe. We will eat lunch before arriving at the power plant, where we board the train to Machu Picchu town.
We get up before daybreak and walk for an hour in the anticipation of experiencing one of the most amazing sights in the world: sunrise over the ancient Incan complex of Machu Picchu, one of the new 7 Wonders of the World. The rest of the day includes a 2-hour guided visit, followed by some free time to explore the city on your own, and then the descent to Machu Picchu town (a.k.a. Aguas Calientes). In the afternoon, we will board the train that returns us to Cusco; from the Ollantaytambo Station, you will be transferred to your hotel.
***END OF OUR SERVICES***
- Bilingual guide ( Spanish – English)
- Transportation during the trip.
- Transfer from the Ollantaytambo Station to the Cusco hotel (last day).
- Full meals during the biking and hiking trips.
- Overnight in lodges: days 1 and 2 (basic services).
- First aid kit, oxygen.
- Short wave radios.
- Local train from the hydroelectric plant to Machu Picchu town.
- Bilingual guide.
- Bus to and from Machu Picchu.
- Machu Picchu entrance fee.
- Expedition train, one way.
SERVICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Sleeping bag.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Zip line fee.
- Hot springs entrance fee.
- Meals in Machu Picchu.
- Hotel in Machu Picchu.
- Others not described in the program.
EQUIPMENT THAT WE RECOMMEND YOU BRING:
- Hiking boots.
- Long pants.
- T- shirts: 1 per day.
- Raincoat, bandana, wool socks, hat, cap.
- Camera, flash light.
- Walking stick with rubber tip.
- Day pack.
- Canteen or Nalgene Bottle.
- Insect repellent, sunscreen.
- Medicines (those that you require)